It’s a well-known fact that WordPress enables users to blog and manage the content in their own language of choice as long as the translation is accessible. The entire process involved varies on the version of WordPress a person have installed. Thus, if you would want to blog in different languages, installing a plugin is perhaps the best option.
How to install WordPress in other languages
- Choose a language during the installation
WordPress 4.0 s equipped with the new and enhanced internationalization support. Users can now select a language for their WordPress sire during the installation. This feature is very practical when you need installation instructions in your local language. But, if you don’t choose the language within the process of installation, you can still change it anytime under settings.
- Change your language
Apart from that, WordPress also makes it easy to modify the language on the site. All you need to do is to go to SETTINGS > GENERAL on the dashboard and scroll down to the end of the page. You will see there the option to choose site language.
How to Install WordPress Translation Files for another Language Manually
WordPress makes use of gettext system for their translations. Some volunteer users throughout the globe utilize a main .pot template file to change WordPress in their own languages. This leads to two files for every language – Machine Object file with a .mo extension and the Portable Object format file along with a .po extension. You’ll need .mo file for your language.
- Go to WordPress translations team section to see when there’s a WordPress translation accessible for your chosen language
- Click on the percentage value to check the status translation in your language and click the current version of WordPress
- You’ll now reach GlotPres – a web-based application utilized by WordPress team to facilitate and translate any WordPress projects
- Now, scroll down to the end until you see the export part. In the dropdown, choose Machine Object Message Catalog(.mo) and click Export Link.
- Repeat the process, choose Portable Object Message (.po), and click on the Export Link.
- After your download and unzip the language pack on your desktop, you’ll need to connect to your site with the help of FTP client. After you are connected, you can now upload the language files to the [ /wp-content/languages ] folder
- When you are done uploading the file, go back to the WordPress admin area. Locate SETTINGS > GENERAL section and scroll down to the website language option. Here, you can choose the language you uploaded as it will show under installed languages.